Thursday, April 12, 2012

Action 057: Don't Take Things Personally.

Today I am quite tired. I have gotten very little sleep, so babysitting today is nothing, but a chore. And knowing I have two rounds of it until late? A bit interminable.

So I did the complaining thing to a friend I thought would understand the being very tired and having to work with diaper-licious kiddos. I mentioned something about being bored early on in the first round of sitting.

Her response? "You're already bored and you want to be a teacher?"

It's a rude statement. Maybe she was trying to be funny or maybe she's just cranky herself because she also has a long day ahead and I'm a handy target as a friend.

Either way, she knows nothing of my skills in my classroom, nor is she even remotely trained to be in one herself. As such, there is really no need to take such a statement seriously or personally.

I had to remind myself that people say all sorts of things and their meaning is not always known. And we're not even going to discuss how things come across in text versus voice, no matter how well we know that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment