Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Action 003: Surprise Yourself.

I hit the treadmill today, not really knowing what to expect.  I haven't worked out in about a week and a half, the amount of time I've been sick and snotty (literally, not figuratively).

I ran well... When I could.  A good percentage of the time was spent walking because the coughing just wasn't going to let me run very fast.  I finished, thinking it wouldn't be a very long distance, that I must have gone oh so slow.

I ran a 5k in 45 minutes.  Yes, this may seem slow to you.  But I must tell you... When I first started running, oh so long ago, and healthy, I could BARELY run a 5k in 45 minutes.  No joke.  I was slow and had to walk far more than I could run.  There were no excuses or explanations of being sick or lazy or tired or full or dehydrated or whatever.  I simply was not able to run very much.

So today?  To be able to actually be sick and to still get in 3.2 miles in 45 minutes?  That's pretty darn cool.  My body may not be exponentially smaller than it was when I first started running, due to fits and starts and stress eating like a champ.  But my body is in a better place regardless.  To be able to go from not working out in a week and a half AND sick and still be able to physically complete a task better than I was able a long while back is awesome.

People always talk about Non-Scale Victories.  This is one.  This is a big one for me.  My body is healthier.  The scale doesn't really show it.  The measurements certainly don't show it.  But my lung capacity?  It shows.  My legs' ability to move and groove?  It shows.  My body is healthier.  And that?  Is a surprise.

And quite the welcome one.

No comments:

Post a Comment