Friday, March 30, 2012

Action 024: Be Alone.

I'm often alone. It's one of the virtues or drawbacks of being single, depending on how I'm feeling at any given moment. Regardless of how I'm feeling at any given moment, I'm entirely capable of handling most situations on my own or knowing who to call to handle them. More than that though, I'm ale to DO things alone.

I've often dined out alone, gone to movies alone, gone running alone... You name it, I've probably done it alone. I don't really see why I shouldn't do something if I want to do it just because I don't have someone with me.

A friend of mine mentioned tonight how he's never done anything like that alone, first trying to pass it off as he needs interactive entertainment. Then we got to the root of it when he mentioned he didn't want to be the recipient of the stigma that's attached to someone being alone.

Every so often I've given a passing thought to this stigma, seeing as how I'm probably the recipient of it at times. And I've never found myself particularly caring either. Maybe it's because I'm hearing impaired and I've been raised to be independent. Or maybe it's because social stigmas just don't bother me personally - they bother me in regards to other people and how society treats them, but me personally? I stopped caring a long time ago.

It was obvious the friend not only doesn't want to be the recipient of the stigma, but also perpetuates it. I debated whether or not to be insulted, but decided like with everyone else, who cares? It's not going to stop me from doing what I want to do, even if it means having to do it alone.

I did keep thinking about it though and I realized it makes me feel strong and capable, knowing that something as simple as going to a movie isn't an issue for me (much less anything else).

No comments:

Post a Comment