Monday, March 26, 2012

Action 001: Be Thankful

One thing I've noticed today is that I often take the little things for granted and forget to be thankful for it.

This morning, driving back from coffee with a friend, I saw the wind blowing through the newly bloomed something or other trees that have small flowers on the branches.  The wind was causing small petals to fall slowly to ground, drifting before settling.

Or hearing a child laughing down the hallway of my apartment building.  I now work with children almost daily, so I rarely hear such a sound anymore, ignoring it as I go.  But this morning, for whatever reason, I heard the sound down the hallway and delighted in it.  Maybe mom was giving the child a belly berry or dad was do the lift and toss.  Whatever it was, it was beautiful.

I then remembered that I also need to be thankful that I can hear in the first place.  There are times when I throw myself a delightful pity party, but they often don't last long.  One of the few things in my life I've come to complete terms with is the hearing.  I once read a quote by Christopher Reeves, noting something to the effect that even though he was now disabled, he still dreams as a fully abled person with no disability.  I've never had dreams as a hearing person, it's just always been a part of me.  I'm not sure if that makes it easier or harder in some respects.  But at the end of the day, I can hear somethings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment