Tuesday, May 17, 2011

MARATHON!

I have signed up for a marathon.  I kid you not.  This could be an adventure of a lifetime.  Or the pain of a lifetime.  I'm not picky...

Please donate!  Morgan's Marathon Fundraising Site

Please read on for the letter I wrote regarding my participation in the Marine Corps Marathon.  But please consider donating, I cannot run unless I raise over $1,000.  Follow my journey here, from the joys, the pains, the dredges... the whole nine yards.  I'll frequently update with my successes and not so much.  I've never been a runner by nature, gosh, by the end of this I only anticipate being a jogger.  I will do my best to make these updates fun, honest and downright nutty.

On October 30, 2011, I will join TEAM TO END AIDS (T2) to run the Marine Corps Marathon as a part of a team raising money for HIV/AIDS research to eradicate a disease that affects millions worldwide.  More, I will run for some of my best friends, people who have HIV.  These are people I worry about daily, hoping their lives will be long, but knowing the chances of this may be slim.  These are my friends, my supporters and my family.  I am a teacher, a student, a daughter and a friend.  I want to become of that elite group called “marathoners”.  I want to become a part of this group by partnering with an organization that raises money for a cause I believe in.
Every 9 ½ minutes someone in the United States is infected with HIV.  T2 supports AIDS United and the Washington AIDS Partnership, organizations that work to end the AIDS epidemic nationally, through research, advocacy and outreach ensuring people living with, and affected by, HIV/AIDS have access to the prevention and care services they need and deserve.
T2 will train me and many like me who support the cause of AIDS United and the Washington AIDS Partnership to effectively eradicate the strains in existence and those yet to come.  Training begins May 22, 2011 and will progress through the months until race day, October 30, 2011.  The Marine Corps Marathon is called “The People’s Marathon” because it is the largest marathon in the world that does not offer prize money.  It is the 4th largest Marathon in the United Sates and the 8th largest globally.
This is more than a journey to help save those in a life-threatening situation, but a personal journey.  I began my weight loss journey at 220 pounds and made it a goal to run a marathon.  I can run now, without hurting my knees, without gasping after two feet and without going cherry red after walking out the door.  I now own more pairs of running shoes than high heels and drink more water than pop.  This is a personal journey as much as a journey to help a disease in need of eradicating.
Will you help me reach these goals?  Will you help me to run a marathon AND reach the goal of $1,500?
Please follow my journey on: mytrainermorgan.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment