Friday, October 14, 2011

Fat in the Classroom

I am in class right now, having a discussion about personal ideology in the real world.  There was this discussion about allowing stereotypes in the classroom, with negative verbiage regarding race, disability, and religion.

I brought up the problem with fat comments.  That when a student is called fat (or some version thereof), it is a problem and it needs to be stopped just as much as anything else.  I find this to be just as horrifying.  Body image issues that are just so rampant today, leading to all sorts of eating disorders and self-perception issues.  These issues expand numerous ages and across all races.  So why is this ok?  Why did my classmates look at me a bit askance?  Because this is a country that so idealizes a skinny stereotype, when it's just not necessary or feasible. 

I personally love being female (except when I get my monthly visitor and really need to pee outdoors).  I love my curves (sometimes a little too much... :P).  Having boobs means I have a butt.  So what?  We are all capable of being beautiful.  But when we allow comments that are negative about fat and the like is becoming complicit in allowing the stereotype.

What are you willing to tolerate and at what cost?

No comments:

Post a Comment